The Insight On Our Thrills And Spills Of The #DurbanChallengeI clearly remember it was exactly a month ago when I had received a certain email from Travelstart asking me if I would like to participate in the #DurbanChallenge competing against other Bloggers? Sounded pretty cool. When I continued reading further, it was a certain sentence that answered the question for me…. “You will be tasked with completing various tasks at different locations around Durban in this “Amazing Race” style competition.” It was a YES RIGHT THERE!!! I mean, who gets the opportunity to explore South Africa’s ‘playground’ in a competitive way and still enjoy every detail about the city as if you’re a Tourist as well!? Pretty cool right!
Challenge 1 – uShaka Marine World
- It was time to pick a letter and decide my destiny at uShaka Marine World… And so, Highest Slide in the Southern Hemisphere it was! Had to flip a coin to decide who will be hitting the water first? Myself or the beloved GoPro? 😛 Honestly never been that scared in my life before! A thrill that I would definitely talk about for many years to come.
uShaka Marine World
The most exciting and thrilling destination in Durban, South Africa. The largest Aquarium in AFRICA and not forgetting the highest slide in the Southern Hemisphere!
Challenge 2 – Fun World/Rickshaws
- Next up was a trip to relive that inner child! Back to the Fun World Amusement Park with some Rickshaw travelling along the way… Definitely brought back a lot of childhood memories. You will definitely experience the authentic Durban that everyone around the world speaks about.
The Fun World Amusement Park is situated on Marine Parade opposite the Holiday Inn, providing entertainment for the whole family including the fun and exhilaration of Breakdance. The Cable car provides a scenic and majestic view of the Durban beach-front from the air. The Rickshaw pullers are colourful characters are famous for their giant, vibrant hats and costumes. Although they have been a mode of transportation since the early 1900s, they have been displaced by other forms of motorised transport, and the remaining rickshaws (about 20 or so now) mostly cater to tourists.
Challenge 3 – Segway Tour [Moses Mabhida Stadium]
- Onto the Segways… From Moses Mabhida Stadium, across the road, under the tunnel, along the beach passing Suncoast Casino & Entertainment World – Almost felt as if I was describing a scene from Fast & Furious! Pretty awesome adrenaline rush gliding through the breeze while experiencing the typical Durban Lifestyle and some home grown talent that will keep you entertained all day, every day!
The Segway is a two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle. The name Segway is derived from the word segue, meaning smooth transition. Segway Gliding Tours opened up for the first time in 2011 at Moses Mabhida Stadium, offering the first ever stadium and beach tours in South Africa!
Challenge 4 – The Famous ‘Bunny Chow’
- And then it was time to eat! Any guesses? Yes, it was off to dig into Durban’s renowned Bunny Chow! We set off to Danny’s House Of Curries (Former Winner Of The Best Bunny Chow in KZN). The hunger was more than just satisfied. You can have a Bunny Chow anywhere out of Durban, but there is simply nothing like a DURBAN BUNNY CHOW!
The Bunny Chow
A Bunny Chow is a South African fast food dish consisting of a hollowed out loaf of bread filled with curry. Each year, the “Bunny Chow Barometer” is held in September on the south bank of the Umgeni River, just above Blue Lagoon (a popular Sunday picnic spot for Durban Indians), attracting numerous entrants from across the Durban Metro region to compete for the title of top bunny maker.
Challenge 5 – Gateway Theatre Of Shopping
- Lastly, finishing of the day in one of the most exciting tourist attractions in the city! Selfies with Strangers? Nah, We are family here! The warm hearts and lovable smiles are all over… As they say, ‘Local is Lekker’ and that’s exactly what we set off to do. Selfies at Kathrin Kidger (who won Durban Designer Of The Year). The WaveHouse (featuring simulated waves which are perfect for beginners before they take to the Durban Beaches). Gorimas (The leading spice merchant in Kwa-Zulu Natal). So Whipped (Receives their expertly roasted coffee beans from local micro-roasters from North Coast of Kwa-Zulu Natal on a weekly basis , ensuring consistently fresh coffee).
Gateway Theatre Of Shopping
The biggest shopping complex in the Southern Hemisphere and the coolest theatre of shopping in the country.
As we all can see by now that Durban is clearly more than just the beautiful golden beaches… and not forgetting an absolute shopper’s paradise with world class standard shopping malls and precincts, craft markets and street bazaars. A league of its own in offering great lifestyle, packed with adventure activities, blessed with natural beauty and is an astonishingly liveable city. From Business delegates to leisure travelers …The Durban atmosphere will surely capture your heart forever!
To finish this off, I just want to send a big thank you firstly to Travelstart for giving me this opportunity to be in such a cool campaign. You guys are awesome! Especially Lyle Scritten (Instagram: @versatilelyleblog), the man behind the magic! To everyone who doesn’t know what Travelstart is about, www.travelstart.co.za is South Africa’s leading online travel agency. Visit their site for the best deals on flights, hotels and car hire!
Next up, a big thank you to Sean Cockroft (Instagram: @seancsurfs), The best GoPro Rep ever! The tutorial was incredible… A man that certainly knows how to handle his tools! To you guys who aren’t too clued up on GoPro, GoPro simply helps you capture and share your most meaningful experiences with others so they can be celebrated together! The world’s most versatile cameras are what they make. Check out www.omnico.co.za!
Last but not least, Nirdosha Govender. The partner in crime. My #DurbanChallenge would have never been as exciting, eventful and successful without you in it. Thank you so much!!!
Fun Facts About Durban:
In 1962 Nelson Mandela was captured and arrested in the town of Howick and thus began his 27 years of incarceration. Mandela returned to KwaZulu-Natal to begin a new journey when he chose to cast his first vote in Inanda, Durban as a free man in 1994.
The world’s oldest and largest ultra-marathon, the Comrades Marathon, takes place here.
The world’s tallest bungee swing is found at the Moses Mabhida stadium (Guinness Book of Records, 14 May 2011).
Home to the largest shopping mall in the southern hemisphere, Gateway Theatre of Shopping, with a skatepark designed by Tony Hawk.
Durban Aliwal Shoal is considered as one of the world’s top diving sites.
Durban harbor is the home of the 9th largest harbor in the world. The modern Port of Durban grew around trade from Johannesburg. Today Durban has the busiest container port in Africa.
The spiritual leader of the Indian independence movement, Mahatma Ghandi began his political journey in Durban
Durban is one of the top surfing destinations in South Africa
The rickshaw (rickshaw) was brought to Durban, in 1893, by the sugar magnate Sir Marshall Campbell, from London. Ricksha pullers have been operating in Durban for more than 100 years.
The 5th largest aquarium in the world and the biggest in Africa Ushaka Marine world is in Durban
Source for Facts: Durban Experience